MUNICH, Sept 27 (Reuters) - BMW plans to build the upcoming X1 compact sport utility vehicle in a European BMW plant, but outsource the Mini offroader to a third party, Chief Executive Norbert Reithofer said. The decision to build the X1 here was due to group's belief that the model's main market will be Europe, he said. Reithofer didn't say who might build the Mini SUV for BMW, but the first generation of its larger cousin, the X3, is built by Magna Steyr in Graz.
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"BMW to build X1 in Europe, outsource Mini SUV" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.