A reader named Ken has an old VW Passat with the 1.8L turbocharged 4-cyl. engine that won Ward's 10 Best Engines trophies in 2002 and 2003. He's wondering how the new EA888 1.8L in the Jetta differs from his Passat engine. Our answer: The third-generation EA888 engine that we just awarded for 10 Best Engines is considered a clean-sheet engine, but it's easy to understand why someone might think it is only mildly improved from the 1.8L turbo-4 that won 10BE trophies ...
Sign in to access this Forum topic
"How "new" is VW 1.8L Ward's 10 Best Engines winner?" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.