Active Front Steering (AFS) is BMW's intermediate step leading to the future of a pure steer-by-wire system. Although BMW says steer-by-wire is at least 8 years away, AFS can be fitted into a new-generation BMW model within four years (provided regulations allowing for its use are issued), explain the engineers who are working on its development. A complement to BMW's existing Servotronic power steering, the AFS system evens out yawing motion, for example, when braking on road surfaces ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"AFS expands by wire technology" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.