NOVI, MI – Every car review that remarks on the exquisite handling of the new ’04 BMW 5-Series makes executives at aluminum giant Alcan Inc. smile. The 5-Series is the poster child for a new trend in aluminum use: a material hybrid where the front end of the car, from A-pillar forward, is lightweight aluminum and the back is traditional steel. BMW 5-Series uses aluminum to lighten the front end for better balance. The use of aluminum in vehicles has enjoyed a steady increase, with ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Aluminum Abets BMW in Quest for Perfect Weight Balance" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.