How do we know the industry’s horsepower race is out of control? Because even BMW engineers are complaining. AMG, Mercedes-Benz’s in-house performance division, recently introduced the SL 65 AMG, a 612-hp supercar. Some high-level engineers at archrival BMW – arguably the world’s premier automotive engine producer – are starting to privately grumble that enough is enough. The astonishing horsepower and acceleration of cars such as the SL 65 (0-62 mph [100 km/h] in 4.2 seconds) may be ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Another Sin Tax" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.