Why is fuel-saving start/stop technology just arriving in non-hybrid North American vehicles, years after it became available overseas? Because until now, the market’s overwhelming preference for automatic transmissions has proved problematic, suppliers say. Ford Motor Co.’s commitment this week to launch the technology herald breakthroughs accommodating automatic step-gear transmissions found in an increasing majority of vehicles on North American roads. Start/stop systems shut down ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Auto Industry Transmission Breakthroughs Promise Start/Stop Proliferation" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.