“Now we're really moving up,” says Martin Winterkorn, Volkswagen AG executive vice president and head of technical development. “Our current targets are the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and BMW 7-Series.” Recent acquisitions of Bugatti and Lamborghini are joined by Bentley in the expanding Volkswagen Group. This gives VW a solid opening into the lucrative “executive” market, where automakers can add sales value and appeal faster than adding production cost. The need for profitable prestige models ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Big-engine program backs VW rise to prestige" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.