SAO PAULO — Despite an investment of US$800 million in its Juiz de Fora factory, DaimlerChrysler AG's small Mercedes A-Class car sold poorly in Brazil last year. This, despite a heavy advertising campaign based on the Mercedes image and its star logo. Even a nostalgic TV advertisement featuring the Walt Disney tune “When you Wish Upon a Star” gave no impetus to sales. Some Mercedes dealers threatened to sue the manufacturer for forcing them to buy vehicles they could not sell. ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"DC debates future products for Brazil plant" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.