DETROIT — Volkswagen AG's 3 liter/100 km (78 mpg combined) Lupo, introduced last year, has been such a huge success that production of its unique 1.2L turbodiesel engine is well short of demand and has delayed introduction of the remarkable aluminum 4-door Audi A2, which also delivers 78 mpg with the same engine (see WEVTU — Mar. 1, '01, p. 7). Not satisfied to leave well enough alone, VW releases information at the recent Detroit Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress here (paper ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Diesel 2-stroke for 100-mpg Volkswagen" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.