TURIN — Imagine the cost-savings of building your entire range of cars on just two modular platforms? Fiat SpA can. Fiat says its plan to base all future models on two platforms, using a form of the space-frame technology pioneered by the Multipla, will save 30% on the investment required to build the same cars by traditional monocoque construction. The strategy became public when Fiat managers explained the rationale behind its quirky-looking, intelligently conceived, Ecobasic concept ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Fiat platform plan pinned to space frame technology" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.