DETROIT — Siemens AG apparently has gained a competitive diesel-engine lead with high-speed, piezoelectric control of injectors supplied from high-pressure common-rail systems. The ultra-fast piezo-based system permits up to five separate injections per combustion cycle. A diesel injection engineer WEVTU speaks with here explains that two pilot injections, instead of one as now is common, further reduces combustion noise. The dual pilot injections then are followed by two (versus one) main ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Five injections per cycle cut emissions" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.