SAO PAULO – General Motors Corp.’s launch of a higher-priced ($7,000) 5-door Celta, more than 1.6% the original 2-door hatchback model, may not be the best timing. Workers at the Celta plant in Gravatai, Rio Grande do Sul, are on strike, demanding the same profit-sharing arrangement as workers at the auto maker’s plants in metro Sao Paulo and Taubate. GM is setting up a program at its Sao Caetano plant here, offering incentives to workers who voluntarily leave their jobs.
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"GM Introduces New Celta as Plant Workers Strike" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.