Production of the Volkswagen Golf hits 24 million units in Wolfsburg, Germany. A 2.0L TDI in tornado red is the milestone vehicle. Output began in 1974. The car now is built in seven VW factories on four continents. Golf production surpassed that of the legendary VW Beetle in 2002.
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Golf is VWâ€™s Ace" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.