MARYSVILLE, OH â€“ The official story of Honda Motor Co. Ltd.â€™s American odyssey began in 1976 with former Ohio Gov. James Rhodes spotting a news report the auto maker wished to establish a U.S. production base. Rhodes caught the first flight out of Columbus to Japan with then-State Development Director James Duerk to pitch Ohio to Honda President Kiyoshi Kawashima. An enduring friendship struck up between Rhodes and Honda founder Soichiro Honda, who clearly had a major say in the decision ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Hondaâ€™s American Odyssey" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.