NEW DELHI — India’s largest truckmaker’s foray into cars is not proving to be a long-term cash success, despite initial excitement over the move. Rather, it has exacted a toll from first-quarter performance figures, analysts here say. Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co. Ltd. (Telco) is posting higher sales volumes and better margins in its mainstay heavy-truck unit, but expenses from its car project, the Indica (see WAI — March ’99, p.1), soaked up those earnings in the period of April ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Indica car project cuts into Telco's sales cash" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.