The wait is over. General Motors Corp. confirms that Ed Welburn will become only the sixth person â and first minority â to head design for the auto maker in its 95-year history. Welburn, an African-American and current executive director in charge of body-on-frame architectures for GM Design, will succeed Wayne Cherry Oct. 1. Cherry will retire Jan. 1 after 42 years with GM, including 11 years as design chief. Word leaked about GMâs design succession plans during the summer. (See ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Itâs Official: Welburn to Replace Cherry as GMâs Top Designer" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.