LIVONIA, MI â Prices are not the only thing going up in the steel industry, so are the levels of investment in weight-saving products to keep the material competitive against aluminum and help auto makers meet strict new fuel-economy regulations. âCars will be lighter whether we make them out of steel or not,â says Dean Kanelos, an automotive development metallurgist at steel maker Nucor. âAs an industry, we must demonstrate a way to do it or weâll be out of the market,â he tells Wardâs ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Lightweight, Clean Concept Cars Underscore Steelâs Reinvention" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.