As evidence that new technology might revive an old technology, WEVTU has learned that at least one major automaker is investigating a new, single-cylinder engine design for passenger vehicles. Although the common wisdom says torque pulsing of such engines would render them unacceptable in the maketplace, a possible solution to this problem — and reasons to revisit “singles” — apparently is on the table. On one hand, a single large cylinder has better specific efficiency and emissions ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Maker experimenting with single-cyl. engine" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.