SANTA BARBARA — Toyota Motor Corp. started the ball rolling with its original Lexus LS400 in 1989: a genuine challenge to German automakers' dominance of the prestige market. The formula was simple: a technically advanced, strong-performing package that rivaled Germany's best — with a highly attractive price for good measure. The first Lexus (and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd's Infiniti) prestige sedans rocked giants Mercedes-Benz and BMW AG at their foundations. Relatively safe from the fray, ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"New Lexus sport sedan challenges BMW" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.