Supplier Hayes Lemmerz Intl. Inc. has joined with the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) to develop a lightweight “microalloy” steel wheel that promises 25% in weight savings, or a whopping 5 lbs. (2.3 kg) per wheel. The Northville, MI, supplier and the AISI employ ultra high-strength materials and a “spin-thinning” process to vary the thickness of sections of the wheel relative to the strength required. “Our wheels are going on a diet, like a lot of Americans,” says Ronald ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"New steel wheel cuts five pounds, adds flexibility" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.