The third-generation VK45DE V-8 (based loosely on the outstanding “VQ” V-6 engine range) — which launches the new Q from 0 to 60 mph (0 to 97 km/h) in 5.9 seconds — convincingly smashes the V-8 power in the Lexus LS430 (290 hp), Mercedes-Benz E430 (275 hp) and BMW 540i (282 hp). The high output comes largely from the lightweight-internals philosophy of the VQ 6-cyl. engine range; many internal components are either weight-reduced, friction-reduced, or both. Pistons are a lightweight design ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"New V-8 raises the ante for luxury power" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.