The next-generation DaimlerChrysler AG Smart city car will forego the current model's rear-engine/rear-drive layout for a transverse front engine/front-drive platform from new DC partner Mitsubishi Motors Corp. The new Smart, due in 2004, will feature seating for four; a version with the current car's 2-seat layout also will be offered. Juergen Hubbert, DC's head of Mercedes-Benz and Smart passenger-car divisions, says the new Smart will be based on an upcoming Mitsubishi platform slated ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Next Smart to be Mitsu-based" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.