Adding to the possibilities for "life-of-the-vehicle" duty cycles for formerly wear-prone components is news that at least one large automotive supplier is serious about the use of plastic for automotive mufflers. France’s Faurecia SA is developing a lightweight plastic muffler that is said to be cost-competitive with stainless steel, lighter than stainless and presumably would last for the life of the vehicle. The company employs a side-branch design to deliver reduced-temperature ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Plastic ready to replace stainless for mufflers?" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.