A robotically driven and guided Volkswagen Touareg cross/utility vehicle named Stanley won $2 million by finishing first in the recent 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge – a 132-mile (212-km) race for driverless vehicles through the Mojave Desert near Prim, NV. Stanley, built by a team from Stanford University with support of Volkswagen of America Inc.’s Electronics Research Laboratory, completed the course in 6 hours, 53 minutes and 8 seconds, about 11 minutes faster than the second place ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Robotic Vehicle Wins $2 Million DARPA Prize" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.