Over 70% of heavy-duty trucks on the road — and 90% of all new ones — have engine brakes. Engine braking can improve control and safety as well as reduce maintenance costs and downtime by extending brake, tire and exhaust system life. Unfortunately, engine braking can increase vehicle noise by as much as 100%. Its harsh, staccato sound has moved many localities to pass ordinances outlawing engine brake use. Also, this noise can cause increased driver discomfort and fatigue, and with tandem ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Silent Partner quiets truck engine braking" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.