Toyota Motor Corp. says buyers of hybrid vehicles may not be as concerned about the environment as they would have people believe. The Japanese auto maker opted for a bigger, more-powerful engine in the new-generation Prius because customers demanded it, Chief Engineer Akihiko Otsuka says at the Australian launch of the hybrid. The 1.8L, 4-cyl. gasoline engine replaces the previous 1.5L mill and produces 98 hp, up from 75 hp. It also offers more torque: 105 lb.-ft. (142 Nm) from 82 ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Toyota Launches New Prius in Oz" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.