DETROIT -- Auto makers of the world, fix your gaze upon this engine. How does Volkswagen AG manage to give out this much in cars that don't cost a whole lot? After all, this grunty but high-tech little powerhouse now can be had with a Volkswagen badge for around $19,000. Go to the domestics -- and more than one of the Japanese auto makers, too -- and that same money gets you some crappy unit that deserves the moniker of "4-banger." But somehow, VW makes a business case for doling out ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Volkswagen AG 1.8L Turbocharged DOHC I-4" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.