A lightweight Volkswagen AG Lupo, powered by a 1.2L 3-cyl. direct-injection turbodiesel — and piloted by two professional drivers — came within a whisker of averaging 100 mpg (2.4L/100 km) during an 80-day “round the world” 20,700-mile (33,313-km) trip. The Lupo is a special version of VW's smallest 2-dr car, the Polo (see WEVTU — Oct. 1, '98, p. 7). It makes extensive use of magnesium and plastics to cut weight and the unit-injector DI system, said to generate 30,000-psi (2,069-bar) ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"VW diesel circles world at 99 MPG" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
For WardsAuto.com pricing and subscription information please contact
Lisa Williamson by email: email@example.com or phone: (248) 799-2642