CHATTANOOGA, TN – On the vast floor of Volkswagen’s new auto plant here, “Camptown Races” starts to play over the public address system. Does that mean it is break time, combined with an interlude of traditional music? No, it means a problem is causing a delay somewhere on the line of this 2.5 million-sq.-ft. (232,257-sq.-m) facility that makes the all-new ’12 Passat midsize sedan. The song and tempo starts out slow and easy. If the problem were to persist, the music gradually would get ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"VW Plant Life Grows in Tennessee" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.