A source at Volkswagen AG tells WEVTU that the upcoming VW sport/utility vehicle (SUV) — set for a 2002 launch — was developed to accept the company's still-prototype 12-cyl. engine. Use of the peculiar “W-12” (two of VW's narrow-angle VR6 6-cyl. engines married together to create a “W” configuration) presumably would give VW a unique position in the world's most quickly growing vehicle segment. Although the source says prototypes of the new VW SUV were engineered for the W-12, there is ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"VW SUV likely to have 12-cyl. power" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.