VIENNA – Russia’s OAO AvtoVAZ will use its Lada Kalina platform to produce cars for stakeholder Renault SA and its alliance partner Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

This will be the first time Renault and Nissan will use a Russian platform for their cars.

Previously, the partners revealed AvtoVAZ would manufacture Renault and Nissan vehicles based on Renault’s B0 platform, but this is the first confirmation from AvtoVAZ of a second project in the works that will involve the Kalina’s underpinnings.

Production of the Kalina-based Renault and Nissan models could start in 2013, the business daily Vedomosti reports, quoting AvtoVAZ President Igor Komarov.

According to plans announced last summer, AvtoVAZ will use the Kalina platform to make its new low-cost model Lada Granta, which will replace the Lada 2105 and 2107 rear-wheel-drive sedans. Production of the Granta is to start in late 2011.

In 2015, AvtoVAZ plans to produce more than 400,000 cars based on the Kalina platform, including the low-cost Lada Granta model and some 100,000 Renault and Nissan cars, Komarov says.

Unlike the Kalina, the new Granta will use several parts sourced from global suppliers. This also is expected to be true for the Renault and Nissan models.

Robert Bosch GmbH will supply antilock brakes, speed sensors and the stability control system for the Granta, Damir Kashapov, AvtoVAZ vice president-purchasing, tells the Volzhskaya Kommuna regional daily.

The radiator and heating system will be sourced from Visteon Corp., the window lifts from Brose Group and windscreen wipers and door locks from Valeo SA, he says. The trunk lock will come from Kiekert, while Behr GmbH & Co. KG will provide thermostats and Takata Corp. airbags and seatbelts.

Some 30% of the Granta will consist of new parts, while the remaining 70% will be carried over from the Kalina.

“(Foreign) suppliers working on new AvtoVAZ projects must agree to raise localization to 75%-80% by 2013 and in some cases to achieve a level of 100%,” Kashapov is quoted as saying.