A reader named Ken has an old VW Passat with the 1.8L turbocharged 4-cyl. engine that won Ward's 10 Best Engines trophies in 2002 and 2003. He's wondering how the new EA888 1.8L in the Jetta differs from his Passat engine. Our answer: The third-generation EA888 engine that we just awarded for 10 Best Engines is considered a clean-sheet engine, but it's easy to understand why someone might think it is only mildly improved from the 1.8L turbo-4 that won 10BE trophies ...
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.