Active Front Steering (AFS) is BMW's intermediate step leading to the future of a pure steer-by-wire system. Although BMW says steer-by-wire is at least 8 years away, AFS can be fitted into a new-generation BMW model within four years (provided regulations allowing for its use are issued), explain the engineers who are working on its development. A complement to BMW's existing Servotronic power steering, the AFS system evens out yawing motion, for example, when braking on road surfaces ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.