PARIS – The Smart experiment appears to be winding down. Since Daimler-Benz AG's 1994 investment in Micro Compact Cars AG with Nicholas Hayek, the Swatch watch executive, Smart has had a big reputation for innovation – and has been a big headache for Mercedes-Benz. Arrival of Forfour cut into sales of Fortwo (above). Der Spiegel, the German news magazine, says the brand lost €600 million ($780 million) in 2004, citing an unnamed executive, raising cumulative losses to €2.6 billion ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.