How do we know the industry’s horsepower race is out of control? Because even BMW engineers are complaining. AMG, Mercedes-Benz’s in-house performance division, recently introduced the SL 65 AMG, a 612-hp supercar. Some high-level engineers at archrival BMW – arguably the world’s premier automotive engine producer – are starting to privately grumble that enough is enough. The astonishing horsepower and acceleration of cars such as the SL 65 (0-62 mph [100 km/h] in 4.2 seconds) may be ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.