YOUNTVILLE, CA – The ’12 Mercedes-Benz CLS is the tri-star brand’s first production car born in its Carlsbad, CA, studio. But the 4-door coupe was conceived some six hours up the road, its designer confides. Hubert Lee, creative director-advanced design division, says he and some colleagues attended the 2008 Concours d’Elegance in Pebble Beach, CA, where they were thunderstruck by a 1930s-era Mercedes Autobahn Kurier. Says Lee: “The moment I saw it, I was like, ‘This is it. We’ve got ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.