SAO PAULO — Despite an investment of US$800 million in its Juiz de Fora factory, DaimlerChrysler AG's small Mercedes A-Class car sold poorly in Brazil last year. This, despite a heavy advertising campaign based on the Mercedes image and its star logo. Even a nostalgic TV advertisement featuring the Walt Disney tune “When you Wish Upon a Star” gave no impetus to sales. Some Mercedes dealers threatened to sue the manufacturer for forcing them to buy vehicles they could not sell. ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.