SAN ANTONIO – As Ford Motor Co. loudly launches its all-new, ’04 F-150 pickup, engineers quietly are pecking away at its cost. The redesigned flagship carries improvements pricetagged in the $1,000-$1,500 range. The auto maker made the decision to launch now, whittle away at the cost base later. Cost-cutting underway for new F-150. “I think it will be the right decision, in the end, to launch first and get customers to love it and then work to engineer out the cost,” says ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.