General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. announce they have a "memorandum of understanding" to jointly develop an all-new 6-speed automatic transmission for front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles. The two auto makers say the historic collaboration will potentially save each hundreds of millions in investment costs, as transmissions remain one of the industry’s most expensive components to develop. The transmission also will provide a 4% to 8% improvement in fuel economy compared to the 4-speed ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.