SAO PAULO – General Motors Corp.’s launch of a higher-priced ($7,000) 5-door Celta, more than 1.6% the original 2-door hatchback model, may not be the best timing. Workers at the Celta plant in Gravatai, Rio Grande do Sul, are on strike, demanding the same profit-sharing arrangement as workers at the auto maker’s plants in metro Sao Paulo and Taubate. GM is setting up a program at its Sao Caetano plant here, offering incentives to workers who voluntarily leave their jobs.
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.