CAREFREE, AZ – General Motors Corp. spent significantly less money in retooling plants to produce its new-generation fullsize pickups by putting more time into computer-aided modeling, executives say. Gary White, vehicle line executive-fullsize trucks, declines to estimate the total investment at the five plants sharing production of the light-duty ’07 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups. But he says GM kept costs at bay in the handoff from the GMT800 platform to the new GMT900. ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.