PARIS — The Volkswagen AG Golf was the clear European sales winner in 1998, surpassing both Renault SA's successful Megane and half-year leader, the Fiat SpA Punto. The Golf dominated the German market, reaching a combined total with its Vento and Bora derivatives of 322,754 units. Its closest competitor was the Adam Opel AG Astra (198,613) in second place. The Golf also held the lead in Belgium, Switzerland and Norway. But the Golf did not figure in the top 10 in some highly significant ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.