NEW DELHI — India’s largest truckmaker’s foray into cars is not proving to be a long-term cash success, despite initial excitement over the move. Rather, it has exacted a toll from first-quarter performance figures, analysts here say. Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co. Ltd. (Telco) is posting higher sales volumes and better margins in its mainstay heavy-truck unit, but expenses from its car project, the Indica (see WAI — March ’99, p.1), soaked up those earnings in the period of April ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.