Magnesium will be used extensively in the folding hardtops of General Motors Corp.’s upcoming ’04 Cadillac XLR roadster, reports American Metal Market. Given its lighter-than-aluminum weight and high strength, magnesium apparently is ideal for the folding-top application, where magnesium die castings will be used for the frame, supports and stiffeners, reports AMM. The two primary frame castings will comprise between 12 lbs. (5.4 kg) and 15 lbs. (6.8 kg) of magnesium. The supplier is ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.