The number of ’03 cars subject to the “gas guzzler tax” is nearly 24% greater than in ’02, says the Environmental Protection Agency’s new fuel economy guide. This trend highlights an average fuel economy in freefall, despite mounting pressure for auto makers to build vehicles that are more fuel-efficient. Of the 488 rated car models – light trucks are exempted from the guzzler classification – 35 are subject to the tax. Factoring in derivatives – minus a limousine and ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.