SANTA BARBARA — Toyota Motor Corp. started the ball rolling with its original Lexus LS400 in 1989: a genuine challenge to German automakers' dominance of the prestige market. The formula was simple: a technically advanced, strong-performing package that rivaled Germany's best — with a highly attractive price for good measure. The first Lexus (and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd's Infiniti) prestige sedans rocked giants Mercedes-Benz and BMW AG at their foundations. Relatively safe from the fray, ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.