Supplier Hayes Lemmerz Intl. Inc. has joined with the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) to develop a lightweight “microalloy” steel wheel that promises 25% in weight savings, or a whopping 5 lbs. (2.3 kg) per wheel. The Northville, MI, supplier and the AISI employ ultra high-strength materials and a “spin-thinning” process to vary the thickness of sections of the wheel relative to the strength required. “Our wheels are going on a diet, like a lot of Americans,” says Ronald ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.