GENEVA – General Motors Corp.’s Zafira redefined the compact minivan at the 1998 Paris auto show and taught Volkswagen AG and Ford Motor Corp. an expensive lesson. Both cancelled proposed multipurpose (MPV) models and went back to the drawing boards to create 7-seat rivals, leaving GM subsidiaries Adam Opel AG and Vauxhall Motors Ltd. to clean up on Zafira’s success. In 2001, Zafira sales totaled 242,810 across Europe, just 50,000 units behind Renault SA’s class-creating Megane Scenic. ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.