Adding to the possibilities for "life-of-the-vehicle" duty cycles for formerly wear-prone components is news that at least one large automotive supplier is serious about the use of plastic for automotive mufflers. France’s Faurecia SA is developing a lightweight plastic muffler that is said to be cost-competitive with stainless steel, lighter than stainless and presumably would last for the life of the vehicle. The company employs a side-branch design to deliver reduced-temperature ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.