DETROIT — Mazda Motor Corp.'s plan to build the Premacy in China was a spur-of-the-moment decision on the part of partner Hainan Motors, says Mazda President Mark Fields. The automakers originally had targeted the MPV (multipurpose vehicle) for the Chinese market. “We had our Chinese partner over for a meeting (to discuss the MPV),” Fields says. “We're walking through the showroom and they said, ‘What's that?’” When Mazda officials told them the vehicle that caught their eye was the ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.